lunes, 27 de diciembre de 2004

Comment left at imdb (english-only)

I've just watched Sky Captain and The World of Tomorrow, premiered last week in Spain (yes, I know it was premiered on september in the USA). Then I surfed to Imdb, checked its facts, corrected one (the one about anachronism mentioned WW I; I've made a comment saying in Spanish version they say "Great War", without number) and added a couple of comments (about Shangri-La, depicted in a 1937 film called Lost Horizon, and the Bai-Ling char, that resembles the Maria robot featured at Fritz Lang's Metropolis).

After that, I've added this comment:
It is not the best film of the century, but it has beaten me because no other movie like this one had made me recall the old black-and-white adventure films I saw on the TV when I was a child, as the first Indiana Jones did: Dark skyscrapers as in King-Kong, evil mad scientists, Flying machines from a book from Jules Verne, and classic picture conventions (newspaper headlines, planes flying over maps, visible radio waves). The best of a film like this one are the effects: althought 99% of image is computer-generated, effects are hidden, so we can imagine we are watching a classic movie (Ooh I miss the XXth century so much...) [a couple of gramatical errors fixed since I posted it]

(A Spanish translation of this comment will apear in a later post / Una traducción española de este comentario aparecerá en un artículo próximo)

I gave this picture a 9. I want to buy it, man!

1 comentario:

José Moya dijo...

Vaya, Qbikus, lamento haberte quitado el tema. Pero podías haber escrito el comentario en tu blog, y dejar aquí sólo una nota.

Cuando yo dejé mi comentario en imdb había sólo otro más, y decía más o menos lo que dices tú: que la estética predomina. Falta el humor de Indiana Jones, claro; pero en las películas de aventuras de los 30 no hay humor, o se limita el humor al ayudante del protagonista (que aquí está secuestrado, así que no puede participar). Los personajes son planos, claro, pero, excepto Casablanca y Ciudadano Kane, ¿qué películas de los 30 recuerdas sin personajes planos? A mí lo que más me chirría son las concesiones al feminismo (i.e. una mujer como oficial de la Royal Navy), que no me cuadran con la estética general.